Happy #nationalicecreamday!! What would the world be like without ice cream? We don’t want to know. It makes everything better — hot days, breakups and warm pie. To celebrate, we created a No-Churn Berry Swirl Vanilla Coconut Vegan Ice Cream (try saying that 5x fast) that you can deck out with sprinkles, hot sauce or our Raspberry Thumbprint Cookie. The possibilities are endless. Happy celebration, friends!
No-Churn Berry Swirl Vanilla Coconut Vegan Ice Cream
Author: Jenna B. Radomski
Inspired by Minimalist Baker
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 4.5 hours
- 1 14-ounce can coconut cream, chilled overnight in refrigerator
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup mashed berries*
*Use your favorites! I chose boysenberries for this batch because they are in season right now in the PNW and are so sweet and juicy!
- Gather a large mixing bowl and electric beaters/mixer attachments and place in the freezer to chill for 15 minutes. Place dates in warm water and soak while the mixing equipment is chilling. Line a freezer-safe container (i.e. a metal bread pan) with parchment paper and set aside.
- Discard the soaking liquid and transfer soaked dates to a food processor and mix until chunky. Slowly add warm water while processing until a paste forms, scraping down the sides with a spatula, as needed.
- Remove chilled coconut cream and kitchen equipment and transfer coconut cream into the mixing bowl.
- Using the chilled mixer, whip the coconut cream for 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add in date paste, vanilla extract, almond milk, and salt and mix until well combined.
- Use a spatula to gently fold in the mashed berries until just incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared container and cover with foil. Place in freezer for at least 4 hours before serving for a firm ice cream.
- When ready to serve, let ice cream sit at room temperature for 10-20 minutes and then scoop into bowls. Store any leftovers in the same container and keep covered with foil; ice cream will keep for 5-7 days.