Global Smoothie Day was started by one of my dear friends and mentors, Rhea Mehta, a toxicologist and nutrition extraordinaire. She fought her own debilitating disease (which threatened to put her in a wheelchair in her thirties) and lost her father to cancer. From this, she learned firsthand about inflammation in the body and how we can best care for ourselves through what we eat and what we consume (mind, body and soul). In celebration, Cat McCutcheon Nutrition created a Pumpkin Smoothie recipe that Kit and I devoured together (and that you can find below). Happy #globalsmoothieday, friends. I hope you get to share a sip with someone you love.
Why Smoothies Rock (thanks to Cat!):
– smoothies are a highly digestible source of nutrients
– By blending, you’re breaking down the composition of foods, allowing them to better enter the bloodstream and become more available for absorption.
– It’s an efficient (and simple!) way of taking-in super ingredients. (Both Cat and Rhea stress this!)
– Pumpkin contains vitamin A, a potent antioxidant, essential to immunity. Paired with other vitamins, minerals, fats, and fiber, this smoothie brings a nutritional boost to favored fall flavors.
– Reminder to swirl your smoothie in your mouth to activate digestive enzymes. (and this!)
To make the pumpkin smoothie, you’ll need:
1 frozen banana (peel the banana, and cut into pieces before freezing)
¾ cup oat milk
¼ cup pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon maple syrup
Pinch of cinnamon, powdered ginger, nutmeg, and salt
Superfood Add-Ins could include: Green powders, mushrooms (chaga, reishi, lions mane, etc), maca, fiber (psyllium or acacia), collagen peptides and MORE! x